Family in Manta Ecuador

Family in Manta Ecuador
January 2015

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

No Gas

Tempers are running high around Ecuador these days because of a shortage in the production of LP gas. That is the basic cooking fuel in Ecuadorian homes, where it may also be used in appliances like water heaters and clothes dryers. The shortage has gone on for a couple of months and seems to be getting worse. The president blames the production companies, while the producers claim that the state-controled selling price is less than the cost of production. The price has been established without increase for at least five years. Vendors are trying to cash in on higher prices in neighboring countries and are selling it there illegally. People waiting in long lines are getting hot under the collar. I drive around with an empty tank in the trunk of my car just hoping to find a line to wait in. I may have to build a cooking fire. I wish I had paid closer attention in Cub Scouts.

No comments: